Aston Villa stalwart returns as Sherwood’s number two

first_img1 Kevin MacDonald Kevin MacDonald has returned to Aston Villa to become Tim Sherwood’s assistant.The 54-year-old has left his role as professional development phase coach at Nottingham Forest to take on the job at Villa Park.MacDonald previously spent 17 years at the Midlands club, serving as a youth coach, reserve team manager and briefly as caretaker boss in 2010, following the exit of Martin O’Neill.His appointment comes after the additions of Mark Robson as first-team coach and Seamus Brady as perfomance analyst.Sherwood, appointed Paul Lambert’s successor last week, will bid to get his Villa reign off to a winning start at home to Stoke on Saturday with the aid of his new backroom team.last_img read more

Conte happy at Chelsea, despite speculation

first_imgBut it is Conte’s comments over the club’s transfer policy which has prompted speculation that his relationship with Abramovich has become strained.Earlier this week, Conte said it was Chelsea’s hierarchy who selected all new signings, with assistant Carlo Cudicini rumoured to be acting as a buffer between the Italian and the boardroom.Addressing the reports, Conte said: “I would be very happy to continue to work with my players.“I’m happy to try every day to put all myself for this job. I would be very happy if there are some new players.“I’m repeating always the same thing – I’m the coach. My task is to try to do the best for this club, to try to improve my players for this club.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Earlier this week, Conte said it was Chelsea’s hierarchy who selected all new signings, with assistant Carlo Cudicini rumoured to be acting as a buffer between the Italian and the boardroom.LONDON, United Kingdom, Jan 27 – Antonio Conte insists he is “very happy” to stay at Chelsea, despite rumours of friction with the club’s owner Roman Abramovich.After steering Chelsea to the Premier League title last season, Conte’s side have struggled to last the pace with leaders Manchester City this time around, with 15 points separating them from Pep Guardiola’s side.last_img read more

Bandari hit Nakumatt to cement third spot

first_img0Shares0000Bandari FC skipper Shabaan Kenga attempts to go past Nakumatt’s Faina Jacobs during a Kenyan Premier League clash at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on April 29, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluMACHAKOS, Kenya, Apr 29- Abdallah Hassan struck a brace as Bandari cemented their hold on third spot in the Kenyan premier League standings with a 2-1 win over Nakumatt FC at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on Sunday afternoon.Hassan’s goals in either half in between Boniface Mukhekhe’s penalty saw the dockers extend to 22 points after 13 matches while Nakumatt’s winless run stretched to 10 matches. Bandari who drew at home against Zoo Kericho in midweek came determined to get back to winning ways and they were off to a flier with Hassan striking the back of the net within the first 10 minutes of the game.However, the determined Nakumatt who are seeking to get off the basement of the standings made a response in the 22nd minute from the penalty spot after Bernard Odhiambo handled inside the box. Mukhekhe stepped forward to send Farouk Shikhalo the wrong way and restore parity.On the other end, Bandari almost went back into the lead with a free kick from a favorable position but David King’atua’s left foot curler went over.It wasn’t a half of many chances and the only other opportunity at goal that was presented was a William Wadri shot off a Hassan pass that went over.In the second period, the visitors once again started faster off the blocks and just six minutes in, they came close with a Collins Agade shot which was however well collected by Lucas Indeche.-Hassan double Bandari FC’s Abdallah Hassan reacts after scoring his first goal against Nakumatt FC in a Kenyan Premier League clash on April 29, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluBut they got into the lead in the 62nd minute with Hassan dribbling his way into the box and unleashing a bullet of a shot from his left foot that bounced against the inside of the upright before going in.Almost immediately, Nicholas Mejja came close to scoring against his former employers with a scorching freekick from range but it went over.With 10 minutes left on the clock, Bandari had a chance to seal the win off a counter attack but Wadri could not beat Indeche one on one while Shabaan Kenga took too many touches off the rebound allowing the Nakumatt players to fall back and recover.The hosts piled pressure in the final minutes of the game but they could not get back on level terms, the loss sinking them further in relegation.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Suarez sinks Arsenal in Griezmann’s Camp Nou debut

first_img0Shares0000Luis Suarez’s late strike won Sunday’s friendly against Arsenal at the Camp Nou © AFP / Josep LAGOBARCELONA, Spain, Aug 5 – Luis Suarez’s late volley saw Barcelona to a 2-1 win in the Joan Gamper Trophy friendly in front of a bumper crowd at the Camp Nou, as Antoine Griezmann made his home debut following his big money move from Atletico Madrid.Suarez flashed home Sergi Roberto’s lofted pass in the 89th minute in front of nearly 99,000 people, who packed the stands to see new signings Griezmann and Frenckie De Jong, with his strike and Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ comical own goal cancelling out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s fine first half opener. “It was an entertaining game, the atmosphere was great and it was a privilege to reunite with our fans,” said Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde.“I think we did well, but perhaps in the first half we lacked a bit of rhythm.”Barca are aiming for European glory this campaign after suffering Champions League humiliations against Roma and Liverpool the last two seasons.Before the match captain Lionel Messi addressed those defeats — which saw Barca throw away comfortable first-leg leads before being dumped out — in a speech to the crowd.However Messi didn’t take the field and it was left to his long-time strike partner rather than the new boys to see off the Gunners after a powerful second half display.0Shares0000(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Nine-goal Ahly equal CAF C.League record

first_img0Shares0000Al Ahly of Egypt hammered Atlabara of South Sudan 9-0 Friday to equal the record aggregate winning margin for a CAF Champions League tie © AFP / FETHI BELAIDJOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Aug 23 – A Hussein el Shahat hat-trick helped Al Ahly of Egypt overwhelm Atlabara of South Sudan 9-0 Friday and equal the record for a CAF Champions League aggregate winning margin.The Cairo Red Devils won the preliminary tie 13-0 overall to match the margin achieved by Young Africans of Tanzania 10 years ago. Ahly had the benefit of playing both legs in Egyptian Mediterranean city Alexandria because the national stadium in South Sudan capital Juba is being renovated.Already four goals ahead from the first leg, record eight-time African champions Ahly scored four in the first half of the second leg with Salah Mohsen bagging a brace.El Shahat notched the second of his three goal a minute into the second half and a miserable night for Atlabara was completed when Mostafa Selim conceded an own goal nine minutes from time.Meanwhile, Cote d’Or became the first club from the Indian Ocean island of the Seychelles to win a Champions League tie since 2004 when they drew 1-1 at home against Fomboni of the Comoros.The Seychellois advanced on away goals having drawn 2-2 in the Comoros two weekends ago and could face 2016 champions Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa in the round of 32.Sundowns host AS Otoho of Congo Brazzaville in Pretoria Saturday having lost the first leg 2-1 in central Africa.In Uganda, late goals from Mustafa Kizza and Allan Okello gave hosts Kampala Capital City Authority a 2-0 win over African Stars of Namibia and a tougher than expected passage to the next round.Stars won the first leg 3-2 in Windhoek and contained the Ugandans for 81 minutes before Kizza scored direct from a free kick.Okello slammed a Mike Mutyaba pass into the net a minute from time to seal a 4-3 aggregate victory for the Kampala outfit.0Shares0000(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Girls’ suicide rate soars amid overall increase for youths

first_imgOverall, there were 4,599 suicides among young people in 2004, making it the third-leading cause of death, surpassed only by car crashes and homicide, Arias said. Males committed suicide far more often than females, accounting for about three-quarters of suicides in this age group. The study also documented a change in suicide method. In 1990, guns accounted for more than half of all suicides among young females. By 2004, though, death by hanging and suffocation became the most common suicide method. It accounted for about 71percent of all suicides in girls aged 10-14; about half of those aged 15-19; and 34 percent between 20-24. “While we can’t say (hanging) is a trend yet, we are confident that’s an unusually high number in 2004,” said Dr. Keri Lubell, a CDC behavioral scientist who was one of the study authors. Scientists speculated that hanging may have become the most accessible method. “It is possible that hanging and suffocation is more easily available than other methods, especially for these other groups,” Arias said. The CDC is advising health officials to consider focusing suicide prevention programs on girls ages 10-19 and boys between 15-19 to reverse the trends. It also said the suicide methods suggest that prevention focused solely on restricting access to pills, weapons or other lethal means may be of limited success. As for why rates are up, Richard Lieberman, who coordinates the suicide prevention program for Los Angeles public schools, said one cause could be a rise in depression during tumultuous adolescent years. “There’s a lot of pressure in and around middle school kids. They’re kind of all transition kids. They’re turbulent times to begin with,” he said. “The hotline’s been ringing off the hook with middle school kids experimenting with a wide variety of self-injurious behavior, exploring different ways to hurt themselves.” Arias said the declining use of antidepressants in those age groups might play a role. But it’s “not the only factor” that health officials will be studying. Four years ago, federal regulators warned that antidepressants seemed to raise the risk of suicidal behavior among young people, so black box warnings were put on the drugs’ packaging. When partial teen suicide data was published earlier this year, experts noted at the time that the drop in sales of the drugs corresponded with a rise in the suicide rate. Now there is concern that some children who need the medication aren’t getting it. “Suicide is a multidimensional and complex problem,” Arias said. “As much as we’d like to attribute suicide to a single source so we can fix it, unfortunately we can’t do that.” More education is needed, some specialists said, so that teachers, parents and others can quickly spot troubled teens. “It underscores the need for more evaluation methods for school personnel and pediatricians to be able to better identify at-risk youth,” said Dr. Alec Miller, director of the adolescent depression and suicide program at Montefiore Medical Center in New York.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Greg Bluestein THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ATLANTA – The suicide rate among preteen and young teen girls spiked dramatically in a disturbing shift that federal health officials say they can’t fully explain. For all young people between ages 10 to 24, the suicide rate rose 8 percent from 2003 to 2004 – the biggest single-year bump in 15 years – in what one official called “a dramatic and huge increase.” The report, based on the latest numbers available, was released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and suggests a troubling reversal in recent trends. Suicide rates had fallen by 28.5 percent since 1990 among young people. The biggest increase was in the suicide rate for 10- to 14-year-old girls. There were 94 suicides in that age group in 2004, compared to 56 in 2003, a 67 percent increase. The rate is still low – fewer than one per 100,000 population. Suicide rates among older teen girls, those aged 15-19 jumped 32percent; rates for males in that age group rose 9 percent. “In surveillance speak, this is a dramatic and huge increase,” Dr. Ileana Arias said of the overall picture. She is director of the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. More research is needed to determine whether this is a trend or just a blip, said one child psychiatrist, Dr. Thomas Cummins of Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago. “We all need to keep our eye on this over time to see if this is a continuing trend.” last_img read more

‘We’ve made the bid’ – Mourinho knows who he wants and says it’s up to Everton

first_img1 Chelsea transfer target John Stones Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has admitted his club made a bid for John Stones but says any deal for the defender is in Everton’s hands.The Toffees are believed to have rejected a £20m offer for the 21-year-old, who has four England caps.“We made a bid because we like the player,” Mourinho told Sky Sports News.“We don’t make bids for players we don’t like, but I respect Everton. It’s up to them – everything is in their hands.”Any move would see Everton make a huge profit on a player they signed for £3m from Barnsley in 2013.“I don’t speak about [Stones] because he’s not my player,” Mourinho added.“We’ve made the bid and the bid is there. Everton have the power to accept or refuse the bid.“This is a problem between John Stones and Everton.“When the transfer window is open, every club and player is open to bids.“Bids come for our players and we make bids for other players. The process can be so simple.“I would advise Roberto Martinez to do the same thing I do. If I don’t want to accept any offer, I say ‘I don’t accept any offer’. He can make it very, very easy.”STONES URGED TO RESIST CHELSEAMartinez expressed his frustration news of the bid had become public.“There is the disappointment of a club making a statement to the press and making it openly,” the Spaniard said after his side’s 3-1 pre-season loss to Arsenal in Singapore.“I don’t think we’d do it and speak about a player. John Stones is an Everton player, full stop.”Stones said at a sponsor’s event on Friday night: ”I am very happy at Everton.”last_img read more