Senators propose changes in management of Iowa Medicaid

first_imgTwo key Democrats in the Iowa Senate are proposing adjustments to how private companies manage Iowa’s Medicaid program. Senator Amanda Ragan of Mason City says firing the private companies is not an option since Republicans remain in control of the legislature and the governor’s office.“Governor Reynolds and the Republican legislature is probably not going to change from having privatized Medicaid,” Ragan says, “but we still believe there are fundamentally different things we can do to make this system better.” Democrats in the legislature and the Democratic candidate for governor campaigned last year on returning Medicaid to direct state oversight. Ragan, who manages a soup kitchen in Mason City, is co-sponsoring a bill calling for an independent third-party to handle appeals when the private companies deny care or services to Medicaid patients.“We certainly are not going to discontinue advocating for the things we believe in,” Ragan says. “We’re going to stand up for the importance of giving care to the individuals needing the services. We also are concerned about the providers.” Senator Liz Mathis of Hiawatha is co-sponsoring the bill with Ragan. In addition to changes in how Medicaid is delivered through the private companies, it calls on the firms to find ways to expand the number of health care workers in Iowa.“It doesn’t mean by taking someone else’s employees, that’s helping the workforce,” Mathis says. “It means training people. It means recruiting people into health care occupations and specifically the more difficult occupations that help Medicaid patients.” Mathis works for a Cedar Rapids-based non-profit that provides counseling and other services to children and families.last_img read more

Iowa ag secretary urges farmers to prepare for flooding in north-central Iowa, other parts of state

first_imgDES MOINES — Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig is warning that flood concerns are rising in northwest and north central Iowa.“This is not just a southwest Iowa situation,” Naig told statehouse reporters on Monday. “It’s bad there, but folks need to be preparing and try to take precautions.”Until the waters recede, it’s hard to assess the condition of cropland. It’s likely sand will be left behind in many places, along with other debris.“That can really impact folks for longer than one growing season,” Naig said.Another hurdle for the looming 2019 spring planting season is large farm equipment cannot travel on rural gravel roads that are in such soggy shape.“Be hopeful that drier conditions will prevail and we’ll end up with a largely normal spring planting season over most of the state,” Naig said, “but hard to imagine that those folks impacted by flooding today are going to have anything close to a normal growing season.”Naig is advising farmers in the current flood zone to contact their local USDA service center to talk through what federal assistance or loans may be available.“Everybody’s situation is just a little bit different,” Naig said. “How you’ve marketed your grain, what your insurance coverage is and so it’s hard to say with a broad brush just how every individual producer would be impacted.”Crop insurance does not cover the grain once it’s been harvested. Some farmers who have an “umbrella” policy to cover all sorts of losses might be able to make a claim for spoiled grain in storage. Grain bins have been damaged by the flooding, plus corn or soybeans inside a bin that’s been swamped may be swelling and cause more damage to the structure.last_img read more

Monday June 24th Local Sports

first_imgDES MOINES — Radio Iowa/Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association High School Poll 6/23/19Class 1A1. Mason City Newman (18-3) LW #12. Southeast Warren (17-0) LW #23. Martensdale-St. Mary’s (18-3) LW #34. Calamus-Wheatland (23-2) LW #45. Don Bosco (19-4) LW #56. Alburnett (19-4) LW #67. Saint Ansgar (15-5) LW #78. Kingsley-Pierson (19-3) LW #99. Coon Rapids-Bayard (17-3) LW (X)10. HLV (16-1) LW #10 Class 3A1. Cedar Rapids Xavier (19-2) LW #12. Davenport Assumption (16-3) LW #23. Central DeWitt (21-0) LW #34. Harlan (15-3) LW #45. Marion (16-3) LW #66. Solon (14-6) LW #57. Ballard (14-2) LW #78. Centerville (15-1) LW #109. Gilbert (16-2) LW (X)10. Sioux City Heelan (16-6) LW #9 KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Hunter Dozier hit a three-run shot, Homer Bailey was stingy again while pitching into the sixth inning and the Kansas City Royals beat the Twins 6-1 on a soggy, overcast day. Bailey earned the win as the Royals forged a split of the four-game series. Michael Pineda took the loss after allowing five runs in the third inning. TONIGHT:AM-1490/96.7-FM KRIB, kribam.com — Clear Lake baseball at Webster City — 7:30 Class 4A1. Johnston (18-2) LW #12. Western Dubuque (20-2) LW #23. Iowa City West (15-5) LW #34. Southeast Polk (19-5) LW #45. Dowling Catholic (14-6) LW #56. Des Moines Roosevelt (15-4) LW #67. Linn-Mar (15-5) LW #78. Urbandale (13-8) LW #109. Ankeny Centennial (14-7) LW #810. Iowa City High (16-5) LW (X) Class 2A1. Wilton (14-1) LW #12. North Linn (29-1) LW #33. Dike-New Hartford (21-1) LW #24. Treynor (18-3) LW #45. New Hampton (20-4) LW #56. Van Meter (16-3) LW #67. West Lyon (18-0) LW #98. Dyersville Beckman (19-8) LW #79. Hinton (17-1) LW #1010. Estherville Lincoln Central (18-1) LW (X) MASON CITY — Mason City High jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the first, but the Mohawks needed extra innings for a 9-4 win over Newman in the annual cross-city baseball showdown on Sunday afternoon at Knights Field, as you heard on AM-1300 KGLO. Avery Mellman had an RBI single, followed by a Ben Pederson hit a two-run homer as part of the four-run first for the Mohawks. Newman got three solo homers, two from Josh Fitzgerald and one from Max Burt, to cut the lead to 4-3. The Knights tied the game in the bottom of the seventh when Jacob Schutt scored on a throwing error. After a scoreless eighth, Mason City scored five runs in the top of the ninth, with senior Harrison Nagel getting the final three outs in the bottom half of the inning to pick up the win. Mohawk coach Troy Rood gives credit to Newman not giving up after the first.Rood says his team now has to enjoy the win but get ready for a busy week.Newman coach Alex Bohl says he was proud of his team’s effort after giving up four runs in the firstBohl says his team’s week has a few built-in off days to help with pitching numbersMason City is 14-7 and travels to Valley tonight. Newman drops to 18-3 and will host North Union tonightlast_img read more

Guardiola’s Man City win to keep perfect Liverpool in their sights

first_img“But we created from wide areas in the second half and we had the quality of Riyad Mahrez for the goal.“Everton have fast players, they caused a lot of problems at the back, so I’m delighted because we want to go for this league and try to win it again.”– Kane strikes –Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino recalled his big guns for the home match against Southampton, making 11 changes from the side that suffered a shock League Cup exit at Colchester in midweek.Spurs had won just two of their opening eight games in all competitions before Saturday and looked in deep trouble when they were reduced to 10 men.Tanguy Ndombele fired the home side ahead but they suffered a blow when Serge Aurier was sent off after half an hour for two yellow cards.Hugo Lloris then gifted Southampton an equaliser with a goalkeeping howler, Danny Ings dispossessing the Frenchman in his six-yard box and forcing the ball home before Harry Kane restored the home side’s lead shortly before half-time.The 2-1 win lifted Spurs into fourth place in the Premier League, one spot behind West Ham, who drew 2-2 away to Bournemouth after beating Manchester United last week.Pochettino said he was proud of the spirit his side had shown, adding it was an “amazing victory” for his team.“Unbelievable fightback from the team, scoring the goal with 10 men and then fighting all together in the second 45 minutes, keeping a clean sheet in the second half,” he said.Chelsea boss Lampard said his side’s 2-0 home win against Brighton, coupled with a clean sheet, would boost his players’ confidence.Speaking about the crop of young players coming through, he told the BBC: “It is great for the club and a long time coming. The work is done in the academy. The mentality is great. They want toShare on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City clung onto the coat-tails of Premier League pacesetters Liverpool with a hard-fought win against Everton on Saturday after Jurgen Klopp’s men extended their perfect start to the season.Elsewhere, 10-man Tottenham put their recent wobbles behind them to clamber into the top four with victory against Southampton while Chelsea grabbed their first home league win under new boss Frank Lampard.In the early match, Liverpool won their seventh Premier League game out of seven thanks to Georginio Wijnaldum’s fortunate strike in a 1-0 victory at Sheffield United.The European champions looked short on invention against the well-organised Blades until Wijnaldum’s shot from the edge of the box 20 minutes from time trickled between the legs of United goalkeeper Dean Henderson.Liverpool, who have won 16 consecutive league games, finished a single point behind champions City in the Premier League last season but are now setting a searing pace as they chase their first top-flight title since 1990.“For us it was important to win, we had unbelievably big chances,” Klopp told BT Sport.“In the first half we had two big chances and in the second one, which we scored from. These games, they are not all beauties and you have to work hard for the results.”City were under huge pressure to respond in the late kick-off at Goodison Park and took the lead through Gabriel Jesus midway through the first half.But while Pep Guardiola’s men were irresistible going forward, they looked shaky at the back, with makeshift centre-back Fernandinho and Nicolas Otamendi in central defence.Dominic Calvert-Lewin equalised and both sides had further chances to score before a Riyad Mahrez free-kick and a late Raheem Sterling goal sealed a 3-1 victory, which moved City back to within five points of Liverpool.“It’s always difficult here,” said Guardiola. “First half we started incredible, the first 20-25 minutes, then we had problems to control Gylfi Sigurdsson in that position.last_img read more

Uganda picks 10 for World Half Marathon after Source of Nile race

first_imgThere was stiff competition among the male participants out of which the Abel Chebet finished in the first position followed by Moses Kibet, Robert Chesang, Soyekwo Kibet and Kwamei Vitalis. The women’s team comprised of Doreen Chesang from Uganda Wildlife Authority, Doreen Chemutai, Rachel Chebet, and Docus Ajok from Prisons Athletics club and Arua’s Viola Chemos.Abel Chebet, the winner of the Source of the Nile pack hopes that with additional training, the can clinch a medal from Poland.The publicity secretary of  Uganda Athletics Federation Namayo Mawerere says that the annual Source of the Nile Marathon which had become a national platform for talent search was in 2015 discontinued due to lack of sponsors. However, it has resumed this year and successfully selected athletes suitable for international marathons.Mawerere argues that regional athletics championships are vital as they inspire more youth to join the sport.Share on: WhatsApp Chebet took charge of the race early. PHOTO Mark C | Adventures in Running FACEBOOKTop 5 Men1. Chebet Abel/Police – 1:02.332. Kibet Moses/KCCA – 1:03.363. Chemonges Robert/Police – 1:03.424. Soyekwo Kibet/KCCA – 1:04.145. Kwemoi Vitalis/KCCA – 1:04.21Top 5 Women1. Chesang Doreen/UWA – 1:13.252. Chemutai Doreen/Prisons – 1:13.363. Chebet Rachael Zena/Prisons – 1:14.574. Ajok Dorcus/Prisons – 1:15.295. Chemos Viola Muneria/Arua – 1:18.43Jinja, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | A team of 10 athletes has been selected to represent Uganda during the 85th edition of the IAAF World Half Marathon Championships due to take place in Gdynia, Poland.  The competition will take place on March 29.The selected team was chosen after posting impressive results in the Source of the Nile Half Marathon Competitions held in Jinja this morning. The run attracted 138 athletes from 22 athletics clubs all over the country.last_img read more

Woman Accused of Selling Counterfeit High-End Items at Boca’s Town Center

first_imgA woman is accused of selling counterfeit high-end brand items at a store in the Town Center at Boca Raton.Police arrested 33-year-old Rose Yavru this week on a charge of selling or offering for sale counterfeit merchandise.The investigation began last September, when police say they received a tip about a store selling high quantities of fake Louis Vuitton items and other goods.According to the report, Yavru worked at Hamsa Shoes, which also operated at a different location in the mall under the name Hamsa Boutique.Investigators discovered that the store received a cease-and-desist letter last year from a firm representing Louis Vuitton and Chanel to stop selling items that infringed on their trademarks and copyrights. Additionally, the report states that officers and investigators with “A Action Investigations” managed to buy a Louis Vuitton jacket for $280. The company confirmed it was a counterfeit.A store employee told police that she needed to text or call Yavru in order to obtain a price on certain unmarked items in the store. Police wrote in the report that some customers would ask for products from the back, as if they were using a “secret code word.”Yavru told police that in her native country of Turkey, placing counterfeit items in store display window is not an issue. She later admitted knowing that it was wrong. “I thought so but I didn’t know big trouble, but I didn’t know it was this much trouble,” she told police.After using a search warrant, police ended up seizing more than 1,800 counterfeit items from the store, which included Fendi, Gucci, Chanel, Burberry, Kate Spade, Kors, Nike, and Tommy Hilfiger, among others.Police estimated the value of the counterfeit items to be worth more than $20,000. Courtesy: Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Officelast_img read more

Enter the new PING Family Fourball now!

first_img3 Aug 2016 Enter the new PING Family Fourball now! Calling all families – entries are open for England Golf’s newest competition, the PING Family Fourball.It will be played for the first time at PING’s Gainsborough Golf Club on Sunday, September 4 and it’s open to pairs of family members, who must be related to enter.The 18-hole final will be a fourball betterball stableford and each partner will receive a 90% handicap allowance. All competitors will receive a goody bag from PING and prizes will be awarded to the top three pairs.England Golf Championship Director James Crampton said: “Golf is a great game for all the family and a really good way to spend time together. We’re delighted to add this event to our championship schedule and look forward to it becoming a great success.”Entries for the PING Family Fourball are being accepted on a first come, first served basis.The launch of the new competition follows the success of the PING Women’s Fourball which last year attracted an initial entry of over 16,000 players from almost 850 clubs.It also builds on England Golf’s focus on family golf and promotion of the sport as a game for all the generations.Clubs and driving ranges across the country are being invited to organise open days to highlight golf as a great game that can involve all the family. England Golf is offering marketing support and a new Family Guidance booklet, which is packed with advice and ideas for events.last_img read more

Pryor says Ohio State should have won easily

first_img“We should have beat them by two or three touchdowns. Easy, man,” Pryor said. “The ball just went the wrong way, like I keep saying. We needed this win. It just hurts right now, but we’ve got a long season to go. We’re going to fight and we’ll be back in it. We’ve got a good chance.”He said it was all the offense’s fault.“We’ve got to punch it in offensively,” he said. “It just comes down to me. I take the whole blame for it.”Pryor, the nation’s top recruit a year ago from Jeannette, Pa., completed 11 of 25 passes for 177 yards with the one interception. He also rushed 10 times for 36 yards, with USC’s defense pinching in from the ends to prevent him from using his speed to break out of the pocket.“We didn’t think we’d be able to take him out of the game as a runner,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “We thought we could try to control him.…We were very much in tune with him. We really thought he was the show. He’s really a good football player.”Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said the Trojans’ defense conspired to confine Pryor.“They were definitely going to bring people off the edge and keep us from getting Terrelle outside,” he said.He preferred to look at how another difficult game—Ohio State has a history of losing these spotlight games—might help season the sophomore quarterback.“Every ballgame adds to your experience and can help your game,” he said. “We made some big plays. We made some other ones that we’ll work on.”Pryor said the loss wouldn’t be the end of the Buckeyes.“I’ve been telling you this for the past four weeks—we have a great team, an excellent team,” he said. “I knew we were going to fight them good. Everyone had the heart and believed in it. We knew we could beat USC. But the ball turned the other way. They played a good game. My hat’s off to SC. Maybe we’ll meet them later on.”The loss was the Buckeyes’ sixth in a row to a top 10 team.Still, this was nothing like the 35-3 bludgeoning USC administered to the Buckeyes a year ago at the Coliseum. It was nothing like those painful, lopsided and embarrassing losses to Florida and LSU in the national title games after the 2006 and 2007 seasons.A raucous, scarlet-clad crowd of 106,033— the largest ever at the old gray hulk on the banks of the Olentangy River—was silent at the end, but it sure wasn’t up until then. They roared and hollered, sang and chanted, booed and cheered for three hours, 14 minutes.If anything, the defeat might have been one small step toward regaining some respect from fans and poll voters across the country. The Buckeyes dropped just three spots in the Associated Press Top 25and are ranked ahead of the other four one-loss teams in the rankings.Maybe in losing, and losing close, they might not be an afterthought among the best college teams in the land.“USC’s a good team, but I’m not going to say they’re any better than us,” defensive lineman Cameron Heyward said. “We’ve just got to learn from our mistakes and just keep playing.”Next comes a game against high-scoring Toledo, then the Big Ten beckons with Illinois.Pryor said the loss didn’t cast a pall on the year. Not even close.“We needed this win. It hurts right now, but we’ve got a long season to go,” he said. “We’re going to fight and we’ll be back in it. We’ve got a good chance.” by Rusty Miller COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—In one of the biggest games of his young college career, Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor said it was his fault his team lost.Pryor threw an early interception that led to a Southern California touchdown. Then he failed to rally an offense that mustered just 265 yards against USC’s defense as the Buckeyes again lost a high-profile, national television game, 18-15 Saturday night. PREMATURE CELEBRATION— Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor (2) celebrates with Ross Homan after a safety against Southern California in the third quarter of an NCAA college football game Sept. 12, in Columbus, Ohio. last_img read more