Injuries hit big before Champs

first_imgA year ago, many-time champion Kingston College (KC) was derailed in their title bid to unseat champions Calabar at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships after key injuries to some of their stars.One year has passed, and with Champs just a few weeks away, the signs are not good once again for the North Street-based team reportedly struggling to get a few of their big names ready.Despite whispers that he is in fact training well, special 400m talent Akeem Bloomfield is yet to compete this season, while there are serious concerns about the condition of Nathaniel Bann, Jhevaughn Matherson and Dontre Williams.KC had already lost their top Class One sprint hurdler Chadwick Brown, who was seriously injured in training a few weeks ago and is out of the Championships.There are also concerns for Jamaica College (JC), who are also expected to push for the title and St Jago High, who are looking to get closer to the top of the pile this season.At a recent development meet, JC’s Orville Haslam, who is expected to dominate the Class 3sprints pulled up with a foot injury.Haslam is undoubtedly the top Class 3 sprinter this season and is favoured to win the 100m and 200m and play an important role on the 4x100m relay for his team.MAJOR SETBACKIf he is not able to face the start at Champs, it will be a big setback for his team as this could be a loss of over 20 points, a heavy loss in what could be a close Championships.St Jago’s Class 1 sprint heavyweight Raheem Chambers has been dominating since Class III and enters his second year in Class I as one element of an eagerly anticipated sprinting showdown with St Elizabeth’s Nigel Ellis and KC’s Matherson.Chambers is, however, yet to compete this season due to injury concerns and could be among those missing from the Championships.The injury concerns are also considerable on the girls’ side as four-time Girls champions St Jago could see their most outstanding athlete, Natalliah Whyte, missing in action.Whyte, the defending double Class 1 sprint champion, was expected to retain her title easily and in the process give her team some quality points.In a radio interview recently, head coach Keilando Goburn confirmed that his prized athlete is nursing a hamstring injury.She has only competed on a few occasions this season and has not been seen at any meet recently.Her absence wold deliver a crippling blow the Monk Street-based team, with the likes of Hydel and a rejuvenated Holmwood Technical showing good form.Today’s Gibson/McCook Relays will revealed the status of several of these athletes who are nursing injuries, and their presence or non-presence will be key indicators.last_img read more

Deputy’s killer seeks forgiveness

first_imgForgiveness is something Teri March said she would work on. “I’m going to pray about that,” she said. “I’m going to work toward forgiveness. A year ago I hated him so much and that was my drive, to see him punished. He’s being punished now. I don’t hate him anymore. “It’s all so tragic. He threw his life away. He’s only 30.” Garcia shot March on April 29, 2002, in Irwindale when the deputy pulled over his black Nissan Maxima near Live Oak Avenue and Peck Road. Garcia – once one of the U.S. Marshals Service’s 10 most-wanted fugitives – fled to his native Mexico. He was handed over to the U.S. Marshals Service at the San Ysidro border crossing about 5:20 a.m. Jan. 9.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POMONA – Nearly five years after gunning down a sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop, the man who frustrated a nation by fleeing to his native Mexico to avoid prosecution pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder. Jorge Arroyo Garcia, 30, who killed Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy David March of Saugus, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole under an agreement reached after he was finally extradited earlier this year. Through an interpreter, Garcia begged March’s family in court for forgiveness. “I know someday you will forgive me,” he said. “If you see my face and I see your face again, I only want to ask for forgiveness for what I’ve done, and I know that you will forgive me at an appropriate time. “I know you don’t want to listen to me and you don’t want to see my face. I know that these words will not take the hatred that you feel for me.” As he spoke, tears ran down the face of March’s widow, Teri, who had driven from Santa Clarita to the hearing with an entourage of her slain husband’s colleagues. “I’m relieved beyond words,” she said after it was over. “I just never really believe it till it happens – and it happened.” Garcia’s demeanor surprised her. “I was somewhat surprisingly pleased by it,” she said. “It showed there was some heart there. I expected him to be callous and horrible and evil and wicked and he wasn’t. It might mean that he gets to live with some guilt the rest of his life in prison. I felt satisfied with that.” last_img read more

Austin hails Ferdinand signing and insists he has no intention of leaving QPR

first_imgCharlie Austin insists he is happy at QPR – and cannot wait to start working alongside Rio Ferdinand.The Rangers hotshot, who helped fire the side to the Premier League with 19 Championship goals last term, has been linked with a move away.Hull and Everton were two of the clubs said to be interested but the former bricklayer says he has no intention of leaving west London.He said: “I am happy at QPR, there is no reason for me to look anywhere else. I am happy to be here.”And the 25-year-old is excited by the arrival of former Manchester United and England defender Ferdinand, who signed a one-year deal at Loftus Road on Thursday.Austin added: “I am excited to be working with someone like Rio and to learn from him.“It is exciting for him to come in and show what he has got. To be working alongside someone like that is going to be great for me and great for the team.“His experience is second to none. He has played in the Premier League and the Champions League for a number of years and he has played for his country. That experience will definitely help us.” 1 Charlie Austin last_img read more

TCI Woman on trial gets two years but not for sex with

first_img #Metoo-movement-type complaint, now investigation of high-ranking TCI Police Officer opened Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp T&T companies tap into Cuban market at Expo Caribe 2019 Recommended for you TCI: Man safe now, says he was trapped after lightning hit truck and it burst into flames Related Items:#notguiltyverdictinsexwithminorcase, magneticmedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, January 22, 2018 – Providenciales – Scathing criticism emerges now for Prosecutors in the case where an eight year old boy claims he was repeatedly sexually assaulted by a woman old enough to be his mother, once the jury found that woman, not guilty.  The case fell flat due to a lack of believable evidence, it is said.  It was hinged on the boy’s claims and very importantly, whether or not he contracted a disease which the accused woman has, purportedly.A letter to Magnetic Media said in part, “Turks & Caicos we really need to wake up when our children are being abused and the perpetrators can get off Scott Free then something is seriously wrong in our society.  Our children are the most vulnerable in our society and need protecting at all cost.”The woman was on Friday found not guilty of sex with a minor because the boy is healthy, found to not have been infected with the sexually transmitted infection, STI.The woman is not free though.  While she was not found guilty by a jury and therefore not imprisoned for the sexual assault allegation, she will serve two years at Her Majesty’s Prison for attempted bribery.  The report to #MagneticMedia is the woman tried to bribe members of the Royal Turks and Caicos Police during the investigation stage with $300 if they would let her go.#notguiltyverdictinsexwithminorcaselast_img read more

Brown Field Municipal airport in Otay Mesa celebrates its 100th anniversary

first_img KUSI Newsroom October 22, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, OTAY MESA (KUSI) – The Brown Field Municipal Airport in Otay Mesa is celebrating its 100th anniversary. The air field has had a variety of uses since it was opened in 1918. Deputy Director of Airports, Rod Propst, told us all about the history of Brown Field.SanDiego.gov outlined the history of Brown Field with the following description:Brown Field is located 1.5 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border in the Otay Mesa community of the City of San Diego. The airport, originally named East Field in honor of Army Maj. Whitten J. East, opened in 1918 when the U.S. Army established an aerial gunnery and aerobatics school in order to relieve congestion at North Island.Maj. East completed flight training at the Army Signal Corps Station, Rockwell Field on North Island before flying over the front lines in France during World War I. He was killed in an auto accident in 1918 while in command of Mitchel Field in New York at the age of 25.From 1918-1919, pilots flying the Curtis JN-4D Jenny trained at East Field. After World War I, the military maintained control of East Field for touch-and-go landings and radio-controlled target drone experiments.In 1943, the U.S. Navy took over the airfield and changed the name to Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Otay Mesa. Later that year, the name was changed again to NAAS Brown Field in honor of Navy Commander Melville S. Brown, who was killed in a plane crash near Descanso, Calif., in 1936. Lt. Cmdr. Brown had served as the commanding officer of the USS Truxtun (DD-229) when the ship was commissioned in 1921, and later was the executive officer of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-2). Between 1943 and 1946, the Army and Navy utilized NAAS Brown Field for training in various aircraft, including the P-38 Lightning, F4F and FM1 Wildcat, TBF and TBM Avenger, F6F Hellcat and PB4Y Privateer.In 1946, the Navy decommissioned Brown Field and turned it over to San Diego County as surplus. The County ended up renting portions of the former base for use as a chicken farm. Chula Vista High School was established on the airport property in 1946.In 1951, the Navy reopened Brown Field due to the increased military activity from the Korean War. In 1954, Brown Field was again commissioned and designated a NAAS with the mission to provide facilities to support regular operations of fleet aircraft, assigned missile programs and fleet carrier landing practice.In 1955, NAAS Brown was home to one utility squadron, two anti-submarine warfare squadrons, a fleet aircraft service squadron (FASRON) and a Regulus air missile unit. The following year, the base was home to two utility squadrons, VU-3 and VU-7, Commander Utility Wing Pacific (COMUTWINGPAC), FASRON 4 detachment and a ground control approach unit.Aircraft that operated at NAAS Brown Field include the F6F Hellcat, F9F Cougar, SNB, R4D Skytrain, JD-1 Invader, P2V Neptune and FJ Fury. On Nov. 2, 1954, the Convair XFY-1 Pogo made a transitional flight from vertical takeoff to horizontal flight, then back to a vertical landing at Brown Field. In 1957, Brown Field was selected as a site for one of the Vanguard Earth Satellite Tracking Stations.On Sept. 1, 1962, the Navy transferred ownership of Brown Field to the City of San Diego, with the condition that it remains an airport for the use and benefit of the public. During the mid- to late-1960s Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), an airline based in San Diego, trained its pilots at Brown Field using Piper Arrows, Comanches, Aztecs and Beech Bonanzas. PSA also had a contract to train Lufthansa pilots at Brown Field. In 1970, the Lufthansa training moved to Phoenix, where it still operates today.Today, Brown Field is a busy general aviation airport. General aviation encompasses all aviation except air carrier and military, although the military continues to maintain a strong presence. The types of general aviation aircraft that operate at Brown Field include private, corporate, charter, air ambulance, law enforcement, fire rescue, flight training, cargo, skydiving, banner towing, and airships.The Federal Aviation Administration (link is external) has classified Brown Field as a reliever airport for San Diego International Airport (link is external) – Lindbergh Field. A reliever airport is an airport that serves general aviation aircraft that might otherwise use a congested air carrier airport. Airline passengers benefit by experiencing fewer delays due to air traffic congestion.Airfield Information Posted: October 22, 2018center_img Updated: 10:28 AM Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Brown Field Municipal airport in Otay Mesa celebrates its 100th anniversarylast_img read more

Cliff collapse in Solana Beach caught on camera

first_img KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Cliff collapse in Solana Beach caught on camera August 19, 2019 Posted: August 19, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A cliff collapse was caught on camera in Solana Beach Sunday evening.The collapse sent hundreds of pounds of sand onto the beach below. No one was hurt, but many in the community are wondering how to keep the cliffs safer.This comes just weeks after multiple people were killed in a cliff collapse in Encinitas. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more